Wednesday, September 29, 2010

LiveSTRONG Day and Spaghetti Squash

For Grandpa Chuck, Mary, Magi, Brent, Kim, Jason

Saturday, October 2, is LiveSTRONG Day 2010. Barbara with winosandfoodies.com has a special project, A Taste of Yellow - Heart Series, to help bring awareness to LiveSTRONG Day and cancer.
Spagetti Squash:
Kid Rating: 2 out of 2 like it (I'll try it on the 5 y.o. later).
Do again?: Yes!


My parents cooked spaghetti squash a couple of times when I was a kid and treated it like spaghetti with sauce. Not a fan. I avoided it until two years ago when friends invited us for dinner. The squash was served simply with butter, salt, and pepper. Yum! I could have eaten the whole bowlful. It's crunchy, not mushy or squashy. Nice flavor.


Ingredients:
Spaghetti squash (today's was 6.5 inches long)
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt (or table salt, I've been enjoying the kosher and have a big box of it)
Pepper


Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
Poke holes into top to allow for steam to escape.
Put on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.






Let cool for 15 or so minutes.
Cut lengthwise.
Remove seeds and mushy, slimy stuff around it
Scrape out the "spaghetti" into a bowl.
Toss with the remaining ingredients.


A blogger friend, Janell at Thufferin Thuccotash - Laughing & Suffering, is looking for yellow food in the shape of a heart. I just happen to be preparing this today, but in consideration of her project, I put the finished product back into one of the shell halves and pinched the edge inward for the shape of the heart. A little clear packing tape on the outside helped it stay in place. For you, Janell!



Family Review:
I should mention that I gave it to them three different ways: 1. plain, 2. with olive oil/salt/pepper, and 3. with butter/salt/pepper. The olive oil won. Plain next. Butter last.
5 y.o. - He didn't try it. You should have seen the face he made. (All in due time, my pretty. All in due time.)
9 y.o. - Plain - "I could do this."-- Olive Oil - "Better." -- Butter - "No! I don't like butter."
10 y.o. - Plain - "Okay." -- Olive Oil - "I like this." -- Butter - "Okay." (but less okay than the plain)
Hubby - not here, but he's eaten it in the past
Me - I like it plain the best (then olive oil). It's crunchy and has it's own sweet taste.


Here's a site for more squash info and recipes: here.

4 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash with a sprinkling of soy (or regular) parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

    Send it to her at the address below so she can include your post!!
    Thanks so much for doing this and bringing attention to LiveSTRONG Day 2010.

    atasteofyellowATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent timing! I bought a spaghetti squash at the Farmer's Market and was wondering what to do with it.

    p.s. I /loved/ the Hansi video! Especially the head tilt -- that gets me every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this was tied to LIVESTRONG day too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gina. I have never eaten spaghetti squash as I've never seen it here. It does look nice though.

    ReplyDelete