Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Veggie and Brown Rice Meal in a Pan

Rating: 2.5 out of 3 kids
Do again?: Yes


This is great for whatever veggies you have on hand. It's also good for using left-over meat. I made brown rice earlier (it takes 50 min to cook) and made enough for other meals.


For this meal, I used:


Summer squash (golden yellow crookneck), peeled and chopped
Green onions, sliced/chopped (green separated from white)
Garlic clove, pressed
Carrot, peeled and sliced
Green cabbage (1/4), chopped
Butter (or oil or nada -- I like the flavor of butter)
Chicken (left over grilled, cut into bite-size pcs)
Brown rice
Teriyaki sauce


See the thing in the bag? It's a partial zucchini -- I don't like zucchini (yet),
so it stayed in the bag. The summer squash ended up being chopped into bite-size pieces at my 9 yo daughter's request.

(We prefer veggies firmer. Cooking times are shorter.)
  1. Heat up large pan and begin cooking carrots*, white portions of onions, and garlic. I used about a tsp of butter and Tsp of water. You can omit the butter or use a different oil or broth. *Out of all the veggies I was using, the carrots were the hardest and take longer to become tender. 5 minutes.
  2. Add cabbage, more water, and lid. 2 minutes.
  3. Add squash and green part of onion and more water (enough to keep from scorching). 1 minute.
  4. Add meat and rice. Heat through.
  5. Teriyaki sauce - give a few shakes.
  6. Stir it up and serve.
Veggies with chicken and rice added.

Family Review: We all liked it except for the 5 year old, "I don't wanna eat squash!" He ate around it. I'll serve it, again. He'll get used to it.

Quote from 10 yo son when I asked him how he liked it, "I dunno. I'm just eating it." (I'll take that as a thumbs up).

I got two thumbs up from 9 yo daughter.