Saturday, September 18, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Kid rating:  1 out of 3 like it
Do again:  Yes, with some tweaking


I got the recipe from here: roasted brussel sprouts  (allrecipes.com JAQATAC).  Many people on the site seemed to like it.  I raised the oven temp and reduced cooking time like some of the site's commenter's suggested, but I wish I had followed the recipe instead.


Preheat 400 degrees (I did 425)
1 1/2 pounds of Brussels sprouts
3 T Olive oil
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 ingredients - that's it!  I've never used kosher salt before.
I really liked it.  I finely ground the pepper so my kids
wouldn't bite into pepper chunks.
Trim sprouts and remove yellow leaves:
Before trimming

After trimming -- aren't they cute.
Put oil, salt, and pepper in bowl:



Put sprouts in bowl, stir to coat:


Pour onto baking sheet:


Roast for 30-45 min., shake pan every 5 min.
(I roasted for 12 minutes -- reducing temp to 400
after 10 min.)  They were smoking.

After roasting

Yum!  (I liked them, anyway).
Family Review:
5 y.o. - Tried but didn't like it.  I then gave him just the leaf; he didn't like the stem.

9 y.o. - Did not like it (and looked at me with a "sorry, mom" expression).  She said the outer leaves were okay.

10 y.o. - Ate it!  Would eat it again!  He said he rated it a 3 out of 5 stars.

Hubby - "It's an acquired taste."  He would eat it again for variety and eat it happily knowing how good it is for him, but it isn't something he would request.

I liked it, especially the outer layers.  The inside was a little bitter (the smallest ones weren't bitter to me).

Do-again changes:
1#, cut in half to coat inside as well.  I would have to stir instead of shake because they won't roll.
or
follow recipe exactly -- lower temp and cook longer --maybe cooking it longer will make the inside less bitter

6 comments:

  1. My Aunt Terri said:

    Sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. Suggestion for anyone (lol) with a French taste, saute diced onions in butter and Chardonney and pour over the sprouts as prepared below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try Brussel sprouts but never really knew how to prepare them. Now I will try the for sure. Out of curiosity I googled Brussel sprouts and came upon this statement.

    "Overcooking releases the glucosinolate sinigrin, which has a sulfurous odor. The odor is the reason many people profess to dislike Brussels sprouts, if they've only tried them overcooked with the accompanying sulfurous taste and smell. Generally 6–7 minutes boiled or steamed is enough to cook them thoroughly, without overcooking and releasing the sinigrin." (wikipedia)

    I wonder if that had any thing to do with the bitter taste you describe. Maybe not but sounds like you need to be careful not to overcook cause it sounds like a pretty unpleasant taste and smell.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna - Thank you for sharing your research. Very interesting. It's even given me an idea to post about that at some point.

    I wonder if boiling them for 5 minutes and then roasting them for a couple more would make a difference.

    Aunt Terri - the butter, onions and Chardonnay sound good, too. Have you tried Marsala?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Follow up -
    Yesterday I had the leftovers. I microwaved them for about a minute. They were good and less bitter to Danny and me (I didn't give them to the kids; they had the leftover cabbage stroganoff).

    So, anyway, maybe they just needed a little bit more time in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this a few weeks ago. I thought they were ok but not worth the trouble to cook. Michael liked it and Maddie thought it was ok, the rest of the kids tasted one but ate no more.
    I also had a bad experience preparing them which is why I say they weren't worth the trouble. I found a little worm in one of the first ones I peeled. I almost threw everything away but decided to keep going because I really wanted to taste them. I have a thing for worms so that was big for me. I didn't tell anyone about the worm before we ate so they would try it and only told Michael afterwards :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tried this tonight. I cut them in half like you suggested and thought that made a big difference. I also probably cut off a little more of the stem then what should've been, but I think that's the part that makes them bitter.

    Anyway, we did have to "stir" instead of roll, and I probably only stirred them every 10 minutes instead of every 5. I think they ended up cooking for about 45 minutes, but I think they would've been fine at about 35 minutes. Two people in our family thought they were a bit over-cooked.

    Anyway, I think this one is a keeper. It's the only way I've found so far where everyone said that they would eat them again, even though our 8-year old wasn't completely sold. The 18-month old ate them though!!!

    ReplyDelete