Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cabbage Stroganoff

Kid Rating: 2 out of 3 were fine with it
Do again: Yes, most definitely


I gleaned this recipe from Liz's Shedding the Fat-Suit. She adapted her recipe from here on cdkitchen.com. Liz omitted the onions and added mushrooms and garlic. I brought back the onions and kept her idea of mushrooms and garlic.


I found this pretty easy to do and fairly quick. I spent extra time dicing for the kids. As they become used to it, I may make the pieces larger.


Here is my version:


1/2 head of cabbage, shredded fine
1 medium sweet onion, diced
3 portabella mushrooms, diced
1-2 cloves of garlic pressed
1 cube of beef bouillon crushed because I didn't have 1 tsp beef bouillon powder
3 T butter (I'm sure it could be substituted, but then maybe reconsider the sour cream)
1/3 cup sour cream (I set aside 1/2 the batch w/o sour cream and it was very good, too)
Dash of salt (I used my new-found-appreciation-for kosher salt)
Pepper to taste (I used freshly ground I had left over from the roasted Brussels sprout recipe
The ingredients (I forgot to include the garlic)

Diced (there's the garlic)

After crushing bouillon cube, I dissolved it with a small
amount of warm water.

Melt butter in pan - medium-high heat
Add onions and garlic
Cook about 1-2 minutes
Butter, garlic, and onions, med-hi, 1-2 min

Add mushrooms and bouillon (I know, it doesn't look appetizing)
Reduce heat to medium
Cover and cook 1-2 minutes
mushrooms and bullion added, med, covered, 1-2 min

Add cabbage
Cover and cook 1-2 min
Stir often
Remove cover, cook a few more minutes (until desired crunch/limp ratio is met)
Add salt and pepper (taste before adding salt because bouillon is salty)
added cabbage, stirred often, covered initially 1-2 min,
removed cover, cont. stirring often, cook until desired
consistency, add salt and pepper
Remove from heat.
I divided the batch and kept some without sour cream.
Add 1/3 cup-ish of sour cream and stir
Removed half of the batch before adding sour cream (L)
1/3 cup of sour cream added to batch on right


Family Review:
5 y.o. - tried both, spit out both
9 y.o. - tried both, prefers the version without sour cream
10 y.o. - tried both, preferred the version with sour cream
Hubby - Really liked it, preferred it with sour cream, looks forward to more
Me - Oh, yum, both versions

The 9 and 10 y.o. didn't want a lot of it, but they did eat it. I will continue to serve it to them. I think the 5 y.o. will get used to seeing it and eventually eat it.

Irrelevant side note: I had an unopened container of sour cream with a "Aug 2 10" date on it (it's September 18). Do I use it? I typically don't like sour cream; Danny is the sour cream lover in the family. I try it to see if it's good. How do you tell? It's sour to begin with. It seemed okay (for being sour cream). I asked Danny to do a taste test. He thought it was good. So, I used it. Therefore, if you want your cabbage stroganoff to be as good as mine, use unopened expired sour cream. (Just kidding).

Thanks, Liz!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! And I didn't realize you had this veggie blog until you commented on this recipe (the 1st commment). How fun! Great pictures, too. And I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought 2 bags of chopped cabbage because i plan to eat this twice this week! and omg while I was typing this the dogs got excited about a squirrel outside and pushed through one of the screens I replaced last month. Sigh. At least they didn't punch a hole in it, so I know the more expensive pet-safe screen is kind of worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oh, no! I remember your post about the screen-replacement).

    I had left-overs today and I like the cabbage stuff (without sour cream) cold as much as I liked it last night warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good but I would most likely not so butter or sour cream & I am sure I would still like it! :-) Not a beef person either so I would add in water or low sodium chicken broth.

    As for the previous post, I know those brussel sprouts are good for ya but I can't stomach them ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a carnivore (booooo!) but I like the way you've taking pictures at each step and I can just smell how great it is. I bet it's yummy. I might try it for as a choice for the buffet at my birthday on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew - Hi! Thanks for stopping by. Carnivores are welcome. I enjoy meat, too, and often. My family's dietary intake was not balanced -- lots of meat and starches and sugars but very little vegetables. So, I started searching for ways to cook veggies and introduce them with our meals. And now I'm blogging about it. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody - I know eliminating butter and sour cream may be the ideal way to live. Right now my focus is to introduce vegetables and homemade preparations to my family without sending them into shock. So, yes, it's still rich. I'm glad it isn't fast food or processed food, though.

    I didn't like brussel sprouts, either. These I liked and will try other recipes, too.

    Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete