Friday, September 17, 2010

Green Smoothie (AKA Shrek Shake to My Kids)

Kid Rating: 3 out of 3 will drink it
Do again? Yes, I make it often, sometimes stretches of every day


I was first inspired to try a green smoothie after reading
this article in Cranky Fitness. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

Prep: Ideally, slice and freeze a banana. Also, freeze a bag/package of fresh spinach leaves. I accidentally froze my bag of spinach once. I discovered this was actually a good thing -- it helped the shake be more frosty and preserved the spinach longer.



1 cup soy milk*
1 cup frozen fruit slices (I use 3/4 strawberries, 1/4 banana)
1-2 handfuls of frozen spinach
A splash of vanilla
A dash of cinnamon
1-2 tsp of sugar (or to taste)

*7-11-11 update:  After trying both soy milk and regular cow's milk with this recipe, I've discovered that soy milk has a much better consistency and color when mixed with the fruits and veggies (probably because it is also plant-based).  Milk tends to curdle a bit.  -- I use Silk Original, btw.

Maybe some protein powder at another time, but the shake doesn't taste as good with it. I omit it when making it for the kids.


{About the sugar: if I was a perfect mom that had perfect kids, I wouldn't need the sugar (maybe someday) -- right now, I'm trying to get spinach down their gullet. A green smoothie is better for them and less sugar than a fast-food shake. Doable changes, doable changes}.




It looks like a lot of spinach, but I can barely taste it. Start with one cup of the stuff; it won't be noticable. Also, if the blender is having a hard time, add more milk and/or stir.


Purty, ain't it? When I use dark berries such as blueberries, it looks nasty like the color of old play-doh that has all the colors mixed together. But it tastes good.



Family Review: Hubby, daughter, and I like it best. The boys drink it and like it more times than others depending on the batch.

6 comments:

  1. baby spinach is the best! I put it into just about every dish..eggs, pizza, pasta, baked goods. It really has no flavor of it's own, and purees or wilts down to next to nothing in volume. Pureed cauliflower and pumpkin are also really easy to sneak it dishes as well, if you don't want the finished product to have a green tint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Runblondie16 - (My first commenter :)
    Thank you for the tips about the purees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina,
    I can't wait to try this. I have all the ingredients but strawberries. Do you think 1/2 grapes, 1/2 banana would turn out good? Or I have mandarins?

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nice thing about smoothies is that almost anything goes. I would try mandarins first. I wonder about the grapes.

    My aunt gave me a recipe that I think uses carrots or pumpkin...I only remember orange...anyway, there's so many things you can invent for yourself.

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just caught up with you again Gina. I'm way behind on my google reader. I love this idea for a blog!! Keep it up.. post often :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cute idea calling it a shrek shake! That would definitely help kids eat it and like it.

    ReplyDelete