Monday, July 15, 2019

Cordyceps Militaris Mushrooms (in stir fry, no oil)

I visited a new Harmon's grocery store and was in heaven with their produce section. The variety was incredible! These mushrooms were amongst items I had never seen before, and, yes, I stood in my kitchen today looking at them and asked myself, "What am I supposed to do with that?" I mixed them with brown-rice noodles and marinated pan-seared tofu. My 14 yo liked the mushrooms and noodles (and was a good sport about trying the tofu). He said they were pretty good. Note: He usually does not like mushrooms. These are pretty mild and have a nice texture. I really enjoyed this meal.

Ingredients:
1 pint cordyceps mushrooms
4 oz dry brown rice noodles, prepared
1/2 cup vegetable broth (or water)
1/2 cup-ish green onions (incl white part)
1 clove garlic minced
1 block tofu prepared (drain, slice, press, marinate, pan-fry/bake/or bbq) - optional

Method:
-Rinse mushrooms
-Heat wok (or pan) on medium-high
-Sauté the white part of the onion and the garlic, add some of the broth to keep from sticking, 1-2 min
-Add the mushrooms, add more of the broth, stir, 1-2 min
-Add the green onions, sauté a couple more min, add more broth (or the rest of the 1/2 cup)
-Add the noodles and mix all together
-Serve with tofu (or tempeh, edamame, just plain)

You can also mix in your favorite sauce. This recipe is basic, mild, but fresh-tasting.




Cordyceps militaris mushrooms rinsed

Green onions, garlic clove, brown rice noodles,
mushrooms. I kept it very simple so I could taste
the new ingredient.
Vegetable broth/bouillon
Tofu, noodles, wok with mushrooms and veggies

I love the colors! (Not filtered)

Son's portion as an introduction.
"Kitchen Snippets"
The previous owner of our home salvaged
doors from a home built in the 1800s

Something else I didn't know:
Our human bodies have the characteristics of herbivores rather than carnivores. Because of this, the enormous amount of meat, dairy, and eggs we have been conditioned to eat are making us very, very sick (individually and culturally): heart disease, variety of cancers, diabetes, lung disease, brain problems, infections, high blood pressure, liver disease, kidney disease, suicidal depression, various auto-immunity diseases, erectile dysfunction...
The good news:
We can recondition our brain, habits, and tastebuds and get back to our natural way of eating as well as improve our health. Whole food plant based eating is the only diet proven to reduce heart disease and reverse T2 diabetes (and improve T1 diabetes), reduce BP... you get my point :)