Thursday, October 3, 2019

Avocado Chocolate Pudding

I know. It sounds gross. I waited a long time to try it when I saw different versions pop up on IG accounts I follow. I never would "save" it because it just didn't appeal to me. But yesterday I was trying to think of ways to get more nutritious calories into my dad who needed to gain weight after returning home from the hospital. Avocados! Except he doesn't like avocados. Then I recalled the avocado pudding recipes posted. Well, let's try it... We did, and it was a success! Message from my dad, "It's delicious! Amazing how chocolaty it tastes." We don't taste avocado flavor at all.*
{*Update: I just made a batch and can taste the avocado this time. I left out the protein powder, too. Looks like it depends on the avocado. My dad still likes it a lot.}

My recipe is inspired by two other recipes: one from AllRecipes "Chocolate Avocado Pudding" and the other from Dr. Michael Greger's How Not to Die Cookbook "Berry Chocolate Chia Pudding." This is a rough estimate for 1 batch, approx 1 cup:
Calories 590
Protein 18 grams
Fiber 18 grams

Some of those numbers are from a plant-based protein powder I added which has 65 cal, 10 g protein, and 2 g of fiber per tablespoon (NOT the scoop in the container, which is 2 T). The protein powder does add a slight bitterness to the pudding.

Equipment needed: high-speed blender (regular one may work, too*)


Ingredients: (conversions not verified by my kitchen scale, yet)
1 large avocado, ripe
3 T cocoa powder (I used a Dutch chocolate blend)
1 T plant-based protein powder (mine was vanilla flavored) [T, not the scoop in the container]
1/4 cup date syrup** (100% pure maple syrup works, too, but will lower fiber content)
1/4 cup soy milk (I used vanilla flavored, sweetened)
1 t vanilla 

Directions:
-Cut open the avocado, remove seed, scrape out the green part (discard skin and seed)
-Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. May need to stop and scrape edges. Can also add more soy milk to thin the pudding. (If you end up adding too much milk and it's too thin, try stirring in a T of chia seeds to thicken it up. I haven't tried that, yet, but some recipes I saw use chia seeds.]
-Eat within 2-3 days

The vanilla powder is upside-down because I didn't use
it in this recipe because my soy milk and protein powder
were already vanilla-flavored. If they weren't, I would
use the vanilla powder (or extract).
{Update: use the vanilla anyway; it adds a nice flavor
and seems to help cover avocado flavor}


*Blenders
I used a NutriBullet high-speed blender. If you make a larger batch, use a Vitamix. If I were to use my regular kitchen blender, I would chop up the avocado into smaller pieces, stir the mixture first, and add more plant milk. Then I'd stir in some chia seeds or ground flax seeds to help it thicken up.

**Date syrup
I used store-bought date syrup but plan on making my own next time. This is from Dr. Michael Greger's How Not to Die Cookbook, page 3. You could halve the recipe, too.

1 cup pitted dates
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine the dates and hot water in a heatproof bowl and set aside for 1 hour to soften the dates. Transfer the dates and water to a high-speed blender. Add the lemon and blend until smooth. Transfer to a glass jar or other airtight container with a tight-fitting lid. Store the syrup in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 weeks.