Friday, August 9, 2019

Banana Bread

Egg-free, gluten-free. This is a family-favorite that is gobbled up very quickly. I usually make two batches. This is the veganized version of my favorite banana bread recipe I've been adjusting and using for 25-30 years. Although this has flax seed, oat flour, and bananas, this is not a "health" food (or whole-food) because of the processed oil and sugar. I would classify this as a dessert or breakfast treat.
(conversions ARE verified by my kitchen scale, Feb ‘20)
Ingredients (I separated the list into groups according to the steps)
2 ripe bananas about 6 inches (15 cm) long
1 cup (207 g) sugar (I actually use about 7/8 of a cup nowadays, ~175g)
1/3 c (77 mL) water
1/3 c (77 mL) light olive oil

1 2/3 cup (250 g) oat flour (sometimes I use whole wheat, but it won't be GF)
1    tsp (4.8 g) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2.4 g) baking powder
1/2 tsp (3 g) salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract (or powder...which I use and love!)
2    tsp (9.5 g) ground cinnamon
1    tsp (4.8 g) ground ginger
dash of ground cloves

2 T (14 g) ground flax seed (you can purchase it already ground up)
3 T (45 mL) water

1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar

Directions
-pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
-oil the bottom of bread pan

In large bowl:
-mash peeled bananas
-add sugar, water, and oil
-mix (hand mixer works best for me, but I used to use a large spoon when I didn't have a mixer)

In medium bowl:
-add the floor, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves
-stir

In small bowl:
-mix together the ground flax seed and water
-let it sit for about 5 min while you do the next step

-Slowly add the flour mixture into the large bowl. Beat on low setting until all flour has been added
-Mix in the gelatinous flax and beat on medium to high until smooth
-Add in the apple cider vinegar and beat on high
-pour batter into bread pan
-bake on center rack for 1 hour
-remove and set on cooling rack for maybe 15 min
-loosen sides of bread from pan and remove bread from pan, set bread on cooling rack
-allow bread to cool about 45 min to an hour or longer, cutting into it too soon before it has had a chance to set may cause the center to collapse (still yummy, just a little gooey like a banana brownie)




Mash bananas, add sugar, water, oil.
Mix well.

Flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt,
cinnamon, ginger, cloves, vanilla powder

Slowly mix the flour mixture into
banana mixture


Egg replacers:
-Use 1 T ground flaxseed + 1.5 T water per egg,
(2 "eggs" for this recipe),
it will form a gelatinous consistency
-Adding 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to batter with
1 tsp baking soda is also beneficial to the texture
Cool on rack

Continue cooling after removing from bread pan
This is a recipe for banana muffins my
daughter made. Also very good.
"Kitchen Snippets"
My grandfather's lunchbox and my grandmother's gravy bowl.
I grew up seeing that gravy bowl during all holiday dinners at
my grandparents' home. I selected it to keep after she died.
It broke. I glued it back together and now use it as decor.
Something else I didn't know:
In nature, hens lay 10-15 eggs per year and mate naturally. To meet consumer demand, the egg industry has artificially bred hens to lay 200-300 eggs per year, which is very taxing on a hen's body and can result in painful complications. The industry has tricks to manipulate more egg production which includes intermittent starvation. Commercial egg production packs their hens into rows of tiny crates with other hens, cutting off the tips of their beaks to prevent pecking and eating their own eggs. "Organic" and "free-range" are marketing terms and don't mean the conditions for the hens are much better than the caged. Male chicks are of no-use to the egg industry and will either be ground-up alive or dumped into a plastic bag to suffocate.
The good news: We don't need eggs to survive. On the contrary, regular egg consumption is not good for us. The government-subsidized egg and dairy industries were sued and it is illegal for them to advertise that they are healthy or nutritious (nutrient-dense, yes, but not nutritious). Just like the tobacco industry lying to generations before about the benefits of smoking, the egg and dairy industry have also lied while using biased, industry-funded "studies" trying to show health-benefits so they can make money.

I used to cook eggs for my kids every single morning. Omelets, homemade eggnog, quiche, crepes: these were a regular part of our diet. Knowing what I know now, I am whole-heartedly happy to give those things up.