Monday, September 5, 2011

Grilled Summer Squash - Easy

Kid Rating:  Not their favorite.
Do Again:  Yes, for me.

I've made this twice within the past few days because, well, I have a lot of these growing in my garden.  And, it's so quick and simple.

Ingredients:
Summer squash
butter
salt (I used Kosher)
parmsan cheese (from block)

Slice squash to desired thickness.
Spread a thin coat of butter on both sides.
Grill on medium direct.  Turn every 2 minutes until desired texture is reached.



Sprinkle with salt.
Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
I only thought of the cheese after putting in on the
raviolis.  Bonus discovery!  Yum!
The cheese really makes the dish splendid.  I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.  I guess the kids will have to grow into it.  For now, it's a nice lunch while the kids are in school.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I like your veggie blog & plan to do more cooking as soon as my HIP BURSITIS resolves!..ugh! Orthopedist put me on diclofenac & physical therapy to start in 2 weeks. How are you now? Did you go to therapy? I'm an active gal so this is no fun.
    Hope you are well & I'd love to hear your advice. many thanks & best wishes, Elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Elle! It sounds like you are already ahead of the game by having a physical therapist lined up. I only visited my general practitioner who put me on the meds and told me to rest (no climbing stairs, hikes, nor exercise walks). I took diclofenac for about 5 weeks (too long) and developed pains in my stomach.

    I am very overweight. My hips will be better once I shed the excess poundage I'm forcing them to lug around.

    I'm an active gal, too, and you are right, this is no fun. I depend on my walks to keep depression and anxiety away. The pain is better for day-to-day tasks, but not exercise, etc. (thanks for asking).

    I hope you get better quickly. Learn from my mistakes: don't take the meds for too long, lose extra weight. That's the hard part for me.

    I'm sorry I don't have more recipes posted. There are a lot of pics in the camera and recipes to post, but just not the motivation. I miss my exercise walks. I have to snap out of the funk by doing exercises that don't involve the hips so much.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gina! Glad you can accomplish your day to day responsibilities now. I had this once before, but at least 10 years go, & I forgot how long it can take. But, I was fine for that 10 years & then overdid it on an uphill hike. So I guess taking it slooow in recovery is the way to go. I will stop the diclofenac after 2 weeks. Has your stomach recovered? My weight is ok but I was out of shape & obviously pushed too hard on those hills..Don't try anything like that too soon. Weight loss is a challenge, but you are on the right track with the delicious veggie recipes. I find that portion control is key for me.

    I think I will do some arm work & gentle stretching on the floor to keep some of this old body working! I miss exercise walks, too.

    Here's to healthy hips! Keep me posted on your progress. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete