Thursday, March 17, 2011

Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and a St. Patrick Day's Twist

Kid Rating: 3 out of 3 like them
Do Again: Yes

(plus surprise Irish dancing video at the end)

I found this fun recipe over at Amy's Super Healthy Kids.
Makes 12
Pre-heat to 350 degrees F

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (my addition)
3 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1tsp vanilla
1 cup carrot puree (click HERE for recipe)

Mix it all together. Spoon into muffin cups.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from pan to cool on rack.

Frosting
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 - 1 cup powdered sugar (I used 1 cup to make it thicker)
1/2 tsp vanilla (I used 1 tsp)

I only had 1/2 cup of brown sugar and
supplemented with white. I suppose I
could have added molasses.

It was very thick. I wonder if a softer puree would
have produced a thinner batter.


St. Patrick's Day Decorating:
Here's a link to Gourmet Mom to print out the leprechauns: click HERE

I have a black-ink printer, so I just used pens to color in.

Cut.

Fold for mirror image.


Finer cut.

I used clear packing tape to "laminate" the image so I can
reuse the images. Lay out strip of tape. Practice first to
learn how to avoid the static that makes the tape leap up
to the image and adhere in the most frustrating way.

Fold over tape, seal, and do a final cut (make sure
to leave sealed edges - don't cut them off).








Family Review:
YUM!
I love the after-taste: fresh, carrot-sweet, and not all "chemically" like store-bought artificial stuff.

Here's the hilarious video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rrLdWLu_0
(watch it until the fun ending)