Monday, September 30, 2019

Moroccan Stew of Potatoes, Peas, and Artichoke Hearts

This is sooo goood! My daughter requests that I double the artichokes. They really do add wonderful flavor. Credit goes to my friend Neca 💚 Note: Sometimes I add lentils to Neca's recipe. I increase the water and keep a watch to see if more is needed while cooking.

Ingredients: (conversions not verified by my kitchen scale, yet)
1/5 - 2 lbs red or gold potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
2 tsp lemon juice
12 sprigs parsley, chopped
10 sprigs cilantro, chopped
6 threads saffron, crushed (I actually use more-12? idk, they just look small to me, and I like the flavor)
1 tsp turmeric
----
1 onion, finely diced
1 c lentils and another 1/2-3/4 cups of water
----
1.5 c vegetable broth (can use no-salt or use a bouillon paste to control salt amount)
1...er 2 cans of artichoke hearts, drained, quartered and chopped (rinse if canned in salted water)
1-2 c frozen baby-peas

Directions:
In large bowl, mix lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, saffron, and turmeric.
Add potatoes, stir-to-coat potatoes in mixture. Set aside.
----
In medium pot with lid, add onion and cook for about 5 min. (No oil needed. Can use water as-needed to prevent sticking).
Add lentils and water if including.
Reduce heat to medium. Add potatoes and broth.
Cook covered until potatoes are almost tender (maybe 15-20 min)
----
Add artichokes, peas, and pepper. Cook until hot