Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sauteed Summer Squash and Zucchini (Sans Zucchini)

Kid Rating:  1 out of 3 liked it
Do again:  Yes, at least some variation of it

I didn't have any zucchini on hand, but I did have an ample supply of crook-neck yellow summer squash from my garden. The following recipe is based and tweaked from Andie Mitchell's blog, "Can You Stay For Dinner?"

FYI - Choose smooth yellow squash and not
the bumpy ones.  I waited too long to cook them.
 Ingredients
2 T olive oil (I used Extra Virgin)

1-2 tsp butter
2 tsp herbs de Provence (a mixture of thyme, marjoram, savory and rosemary -- or just use your own favorite herbs)
2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed
(1/3) medium red onion (I wished I had used more)
2 summer squash (or 1 zucchini, 1 summer squash)

I like thicker slices of zucchini and squash -- more firm.
Heat pan, medium heat.
On one side, melt butter and add onions.
On other side, add olive oil, garlic, and herbs.
Heat for a few minutes (2-4).
Spread herb mixture and add squash.
Cook and stir frequently until desired lack of firmness firmness is reached. 


Need.More.Onions.
Family Review
11 y.o. - liked it
10 y.o. - didn't like it (but she loves my Brussels sprouts, collard greens, sweet potatoes, and broccoli, so I'm not too worried)
6 y.o. - didn't like it, but at least he tried it without much fuss
Hubby - liked it
Me - I enjoyed it, but it needed more onions.  I really like the added sweetness the onion provided.

Grill idea:  Instead of sauteing, I may grill the pieces and baste with the herb-and-garlic-infused oil.

Lastly, I wanted to share this favorite quote.
What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday...

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! I love sauteed squash. I also love it roasted. Who knew there were so many ways to cook veggies? I may never boil another vegetable as long as I live. :)

    ReplyDelete